Excise Department has two Administrative Officers, one in the Commissionerate of Excise and the other in the office of the Addl. Excise Commissioner, Thiruvananthapuram. They are Under Secretaries on deputation from the Government secretariat. They respectively assist the Commissioner of Excise and the Addl. Commissioner of Excise in the administrative matters of the department. Their main duties and functions are:
- Drawing and disbursing officer of the office and will sign all establishment and contingent bills as and when funds are allotted to the office.
- Maintaining the account of cash, stamps and other Government properties available in the office.
- Supervision of all matters relating to procurement and purchase of stationery, maintenance and filling of records etc.
- Control and supervision over the staff posted in the office and deal with al establishment matters.
- Preparing and correcting draft of letters, proposals, memo of charges, proceedings for grant of reward, signing of reminder letters, fair copies, forwarding letters of enquiry reports etc., under the supervision of the officers concerned.
- Attend urgent duties of the officers concerned when they are on tour.
- They are responsible for all the Administrative matters of the Department.